Chi-Spaniel...A mix between a Cocker Spaniel and a Chihuahua

This unique breed makes an amazing pet. Since I've found very little information on this breed, I thought I'd organize what I know and chronicle my dog's life to help other pet owners.
NOTE: I'm willing to re-home chi-spaniels! I live in the Pittsburgh area. Feel free to email me at: chispaniel@live.com

Saturday, August 16, 2014

ChiSpaniels and Collars

I’ve never collared my ChiSpaniel. Chihuahuas are noted to have fragile necks, so I have always opted for harnesses. Any time I see a Chihuahua or Chi-mix in a collar, I cringe. The last thing you want to do is pull your Chi by the collar and accidentally snap its neck!

My favorite harness for Nyota is a soft one! She barely pulls when she’s on a leash, so there is no need for heavy or bulky harnesses/ leashes. I opt for secure and comfortable ones instead.

Nyota sniffing a daffodil in the Spring time.


My favorite place to doggie-shop is PetLondon.net , but many of their products can be found within the United States if you simply search the manufacturer’s name. When Nyota was under a year old, I only needed a mesh-velcro harness for her. Because she was so small, that was enough to secure her and because she was young and just learning about walking on a leash and being put into a harness, the Velcro closure was super fast to get on her!

Remember, ChiFriends…Harness, don’t collar, and always, always keep identification on your pets! You never know when they will accidentally get lost!



Even more unknown, is the need to properly restrain your dog in your vehicle in case of an accident. Most dog restraints FAIL. I’ll refer you to an informative article as well as a link to the best-rated dog safety harness for vehicles:

Read this for info on what happens when your dog is in your car during an accident:

Read this for info on purchasing SleepyPod’s ClickIt dog retraints:

2 comments:

  1. What identification do you use without a collar? I have a microchip on my puppy but always wonder if it will be enough if she gets out and someone finds her. Our other dog had been pulling on her collar while playing so I stopped using it altogether.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd use a plush or mesh harness so the pressure is on the dog's chest. I've seen these everywhere from WalMart to Amazon.com
      If you have trouble finding one, feel free to contact me!

      Delete