Chi-Spaniel...A mix between a Cocker Spaniel and a Chihuahua

This unique breed makes an amazing pet. Since I've found very little information on this breed, I thought I'd organize what I know and chronicle my dog's life to help other pet owners.
NOTE: I'm willing to re-home chi-spaniels! I live in the Pittsburgh area. Feel free to email me at: chispaniel@live.com

Friday, August 17, 2012

WANTED: Willing to Re-Home or Adopt a Chi-Spaniel

My Chi-Spaniel has terrible separation anxiety.  In the past eight months, I've only ever left her alone one time.  I usually am able to find her a puppy-sitter for when I am not at home.  I did NOT crate train my dog, even though people advised it.  I understand the theory that they feel safe in their crates, but since someone is almost always at home in my house, it was never an issue.

Last January, I saw an advertisement for someone looking to re-home their chi-spaniel because of the separation anxiety the dog had when the woman went to work.  Even though I live in Pittsburgh and the dog was in New York City, I offered to give the dog a home.  The woman had already re-homed the dog by the time I'd contacted her, and I often think of the pup and hope he's happy.

I'm an advocate of spaying/ neutering pets.  A simple browse of your local humane society's adoptable pets should convince anyone why this is a good idea.  I don't like patronizing pet breeders, simply because I think they are contributing to a problem that is already very large.  My puppy came from a relative's neighbor.  The parents weren't bred for money, and all of the puppies were given away for free (except for mine-- she was loosely promised to another person, and we offered $100 to tip the scales in our favor).

If you search for chi-spaniels for sale, some of them are going for over $500.  That's a lot of money for a mixed breed, IMHO.  My other dog is a large pure-bred dog and she only cost $375.  Any other dog I've gotten in my life was a through someone trying to 'get rid of' it, or rescued from a humane society.  I once went to a local business that strictly sold puppies. I was appalled at their condition.  I looked at a golden retriever and the puppy had such poor muscle tone, she didn't even hold herself up.  

If you aren't convinced, I'd recommend watching the HBO documentary: One Nation Under Dog.  It's a stark look at the problem with puppy mills and chain pet stores that sell dogs.

Even though I'm obsessively in love and devoted to my chi-spaniel, I'm hoping this blog will be an educational tool for people interested in adopting this breed.  I believe a pet has a better chance of retaining its home if the owner is prepared for the care that dog will need, and if it's a good match.

That being said, if you find yourself in a position where you have a chi-spaniel that needs a home, please contact me at luciaadams@live.com and I will discuss giving the dog a loving home.  Please keep in mind that I live in western Pennsylvania and even though I'm willing to drive a long distance for a pet, there is a point where it might just be too far for me to drive...but you never know until you ask!

No comments:

Post a Comment